Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Oooooh.....the HORROR!



What was I thinking???  I don't care how much you plan, how many furniture dollies you have, how much you pre-pack, moving is still a disaster.  Definitely two thumbs down.  Much worse than childbirth (from my perspective at least).  


Most of the heavy lifting was completed on Friday and Saturday, with SIL Donnie assisting on Sunday as I was too tired to lift a napkin holder, much less the final large piece of furniture.  Then it came time to put things away where they belong.  Hahaha!  Where do you start?  K was on one side of a room and I on the other, and all I could see was her head bobbing along as she moved forward.  You couldn't take a step without tripping over something.  I haven't had this many smashed toes since the last time I tried dancing.


I think I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm hoping it's not a....well.....you know.  My last hurdle is IKEA.  I bought a simple assemble-it-yourself TV "stand" there as it was the only one I could find the right height.  What a nightmare!  The parts package was incomplete and one of two critical pieces wasn't pre-drilled....obviously a quality control lapse back at a supplier's facility (read: some Chinese guy's lean-to).  IKEA sucks!


Hopefully by the end of the month (?) everything will be in place.  Our complex is really nice, and I'm looking forward to enjoying it once I put this nightmare move behind.  Pictures sometime in the future.  Hope y'all have been doing well.  :)


S

5 comments:

  1. Glad the worst is over for you. I bought some metal shelves for our pantry at IKEA and they took me all day to assemble, and I ended up with half a dozen parts I didn't know what to do with. Try and take it easy today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then, I feel better about our last move! Not that we were all that organized, but it sounds like the end result was the same :)

    Here's hoping everything is done soon & you can relax & enjoy your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hm, I haven't ever had missing parts or undrilled holes on any of my IKEA stuff. I learned over time that you really must follow the instructions in the proper order, and check all pieces BEFORE beginning.

    I hate moving....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I moved 18 times in my life, and I can relate to your pain. Once, when we moved from a two-story, three-bedroom house with a basement and a garage to a two-bedroom apartment, we had to crawl over a layer of boxes to get from one room to another.

    Never had any trouble with any IKEA furniture. As a matter of fact, my husband always marvels as to how efficiently and logically everything is packed and organized. Of course, he's of Swedish heritage - maybe that has something to do with it.

    Just unpack at your own pace and have something alcoholic while doing it - it may make the chore less miserable. Or it may not.

    We're looking forward to pics of the new, fabulous place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving sucks. I've only had to do it two times in my life, so I've been blessed, but those two times were enough to make me never want to do so again.

    ReplyDelete