Friday, March 16, 2012

Social media backfires

Besides just being a fun way to keep up with what friends are doing, social media has become much more.  Over the past several years for example it has helped bring down numerous mid-eastern governments.  People in one city can see in real time atrocities being committed in another city hundreds of miles away, inflaming passions and helping to coordinate revolutions.  Syria is on the cusp of that right now, and Facebook is in the thick of it.  It's become a sort of 21st century version of "the pen is mightier than the sword".


But now we learn social media can be used to squash Spring Break here at home, too.  I guess you could say it's turned Spring Break into Spring Brake.  The kid's fear is that a video with them in it doing things that could cause dear old mom and dad to cut off their cash might go viral.  Talk about unintended consequences! 


And in a similar "you heard it here first" vein, it seems scientists have discovered that male fruit flies rejected by females drink significantly more alcohol than those that have mated.  Interesting.  I didn't even know friut flies went on Spring Break. (I wonder if that was a taxpayer funded study?)


Yeah, it's a slow news day.  That's all I have.  :)


S



3 comments:

  1. My guess, it WAS a taxpayer funded study. I just don't understand this Tweeting thing. Talk talk talk, but do people really have that much to say? What about quality of speech. My nephew's Facebook page informs me when he pulls into a gas station, like I care. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Steven. I'm told people use Facebook and Twitter to let their friends know what they're doing, in detail. "I'm eating breakfast"....I'm mowing the yard"...."I'm giving the dog a bath". I say, "Who cares?"

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just amazed at the change in how kids communicate. My oldest son used to be on the phone (the old-fashioned kind with a cord!) for hours and hours. My youngest son doesn't even use 1/10th of his minutes on his cell phone plan. If I need to get in touch with him, I better text him. Nobody talks any more, it's all typing on a little screen...

    ReplyDelete