Friday, March 9, 2012

I'm not sure I fully understand the difference between liberal and conservative stances on some issues.  In particular, consumer protection issues.  How is trying to force banks (and lenders in general) to say clearly, right up front and in plain English, what their terms are and what they're going to charge, anything but a good idea?  How is that partisan?  Unless you're a banker or lender intent on snookering the public into thinking they're getting a good deal when in fact you're charging them 28% interest or something like that, how could you not be in favor of such laws?  Where's the down side, unless you're a banker?  


The one thing I've learned from the financial crisis of '08 is that big business can't be trusted to do what's "right".  It's become so bad that as far as I'm concerned the burden of proof is on them to show me they're playing nice.  And to be fair there are a lot who do pass my smell test by honoring their warranties without resorting to loopholes and vague language that to a layman says one thing but legally means another, producing a clearly superior product, etc.   (Examples?....Amazon, REI, LL Bean, Zappos, to name a few.)  I consult Consumer Report regularly, and although I've never tried it, I've heard good things about Angie's List.  I just think it's a shame things have come to this.  Caveat Emptor...."buyer beware"....has never been more true.


What prompted this post was an article I read that told of one insurance company that was suing a bank for misrepresenting a financial instrument the insurance company was covering against default.  Sure enough things fell apart, the insurance company refused to pay up, and both are pointing fingers at each other saying the other side is a crook.  Hahaha....talk about the pot calling the kettle black!  I say a pox on them all.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a more pleasant note, tonight it's my turn to pick our date night restaurant, and I'm choosing Anamia's.  We've only been there once before, but it left a grand impression on me.  I can taste it now....yum!  If I can remember to take pictures of our meal before I dive into it I will. 

Happy Friday!

S 

4 comments:

  1. It's rather amazing, isn't it? Shakespeare's words have never seemed more correct...

    "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." - Dick, in Henry The Sixth, Part 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more about banks. I hear Wells Fargo is going to charge a seven dollar a month fee on checking accounts. Like they don't already make enough profit? Maybe I should do what Grandpa did and keep my money in a coffee can under the house. None of the banks are offering much in the way of interest anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spent some time reading the warrenty provisions of Dell computers. Seems they feel that replacing a screen, a hard drive or a keyboard is something the customer should be able to do, so they will mail you one if needed.

    As much as I agree with the rants about the idiotic laws in California however, it IS beyond doubt that Dell has to behave a WHOLE lot more responsibly when dealing with residents of said state.

    Frankly, I have come to notice that with a few exceptions, ALL big business and big gummint have become swinelike in the extreme.

    fin

    ReplyDelete