Tuesday, March 6, 2012

More Microsoft pollution

I read today that Ford, which was flying high after saying NO to government bail-out money during the financial crisis, is now in a tailspin.  According to Consumer Report, based on reliability they've dropped from 5th to 10th place, while JD Powers has dropped them from 5th to 23rd place based on customer satisfaction.  And it has nothing to do with the engineering or styling of their cars.  No, by those criteria they're quite good, actually.  They're being panned because of their "MyTouch" system, a dash mounted touch-screen used in place of traditional knobs and switches.  It was developed by Microsoft, and it's crap!


I'm Microsoft-phobic. I loathe Microsoft.  Every PC I've ever owned proved to be more trouble than it was worth, all thanks to Microsoft.  They froze up regularly, need "patches" daily, and were a virus nightmare.  I finally tried a Mac a couple of years ago and have nothing but good to report.  I know Windows runs most businesses, but I also know it's a huge source of irritation for them.  I don't think I'm alone feeling the way I do about this:  Microsoft has been losing market share and their stock price hasn't done squat in 5 years.  Apple on the other hand is on a roll, and is now the most valuable company in the world, worth over $500B.  Which begs the question....What was Ford thinking?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our downsizing continues.  Last night a guy came by and bought my file cabinet.  It would have made my day if he'd taken the desk, too, but no such luck.  Fortunately I still have over two weeks to unload more stuff find new homes for my family heirlooms.  *sniff*  Today I'm back to The Container Store for more plastic see-thru storage boxes. Those things are great!  


They ought to put me on TV...."Anti-Hoarders".  All the slobs would watch and think, "Ewwww!  How could those people live like that?"  Haha!

Ciao, y'all.

S

5 comments:

  1. Makes me glad my Focus doesn't have the My Touch system. I could have got it but it was a couple hundred extra, so screw it. I might have been able to get my Pandora station on it but mostly I just use my MP3 player hooked into the auxiliary jack.

    Anyway, if they ever priced Macs so they weren't the Cadillacs (or Lincolns since we're talking Ford) of computers I might try one. As it is I've gotten along all right with my Windows PCs for 20 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart man, you are, to pass on the MyTouch. And you're right about Apple...they're mighty damn proud of their stuff.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started out with PCs but quickly realized that they were based on that side of my brain where cobwebs are thickest. I now have a Mac and I'm much happier. If I can't figure something out I ask the computer how to do it and it tells me where to go, just like Mrs. C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just picked up a HP laptop to blog from (u shut up)

    ReplyDelete
  5. no one is forcing anyone to buy a touch-screen car... I don't think I'd get one, either (unless I got it free, of course).

    I have a mac laptop 2 years now and it did take some time getting used to! I now teach my dance classes with the lappy hooked up to speakers... all my music I find easily via itunes.. no more need to keep changing the CD's! :-) I can even use a remote control on it!

    ReplyDelete