Monday, March 5, 2012

The Dynamic Duo, house cleaning, and found treasure

Yesterday while going through all our earthly possessions in the process of packing K ran across some old photos, one of which was taken at her parent's house on Christmas Day 2006.  It shows both of my dogs together, the dearly departed Tara Belle (the Westie) and Emma Belle (the Mini Schnauzer):



Luke....you've got some large shoes....er....paws to fill, my boy.

She also found my old name patch from my Confederate Air Force days, and a campaign button from my unsuccessful run for General Staff (Board of Directors):


As it turns out I lost by 3 votes, from an organization which at the time had around 8,000 (?) members.  The guy I lost to was a retired USAF Colonel, his last assignment that of being responsible for maintaining the Air Force's Special Air Mission (SAM) fleet of aircraft.  You might be more familiar with it (them) as Air Force One.  Oh well....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every time we wash clothes we struggle to find enough clothes hangers for everything as they come out of the dryer.  They can't just disappear into thin air, so where do they go? (Hanging out with those socks that disappear one at a time?)  K and I have both been cleaning out our closets, ridding ourselves of clothes we say we're gonna wear again some day but of course never do.   I took a huge carload of stuff to Goodwill, which means I freed up a few extra hangers:


Now we have 78 to spare.  :)

I've had good luck the past few weeks selling stuff on Craig's List.  I made a bundle selling four framed, signed & numbered aviation art prints, and yesterday K's old stationary bike.  Good riddance!  Now I really need to sell my big 'ol oak desk and file cabinet.  They're way too heavy to move.  I also need to sell the monster pre-lit artificial Christmas tree K just had to have a few years ago.  It's in the storage room downstairs in a box that I do not want to store in our new, more compact place. I'm trying to make room in there for a bicycle.  (K, if you read this, I'm buying a bicycle.)  It looks like we're paring down nicely and should be able to fit in our new 100+ sq ft smaller place with ease.

All in all it was a productive weekend.  How was yours?

S



5 comments:

  1. I plan to do lots of cleaning out beginning July. When I retire, I surely won't be needing all those blazers! I may keep one or two (or three or four or......)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that so much of this stuff is like a big anchor pulling us down. I once bought a ten foot tall oak armoire that weighed a ton (probably not an exaggeration) and I was never so happy as when I got rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not productive, but saw lots of people. I really don't know where socks go either. I mean, we take em off put them in the laundry basket, then the washing machine and then the dryer. And somewhere on that journey, many of them disappear. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK to the bicycle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very lazy weekend for me, the best kind. Congratulations on getting rid of stuff!

    ReplyDelete