Saturday, March 31, 2012

War with the electric company

Today I received the final electric bill for my old apartment.  It's OUTRAGEOUS!  They must think they found a sucker (me), but I'm determined to stand my ground.


THE FACTS:  For my last full billing period (2/13 - 3/13; 29 days) my electric consumption was 981 kWh and the charge was $110.92.  For the 12 days from 3/13 - 3/25 TXU Energy is trying to tell me my consumption was 1367 kWh and my charge should be $153.34.  That's a 336.74% increase in consumption (daily average), in a temperate month.  My consumption for the entire month of July, 2011, during a record setting Texas summer, was roughly equal to what they say I used for 12 days in March.  NO WAY!


I called them on it and they just said, "Our records show you used that much.  Did you have any more lights turned on?"  I could turn every light in the house on 24/7 and I couldn't run the bill up that high!


No, I'm not going away.  And I'm NOT paying the thieves $153.34.  I've put my case before them in writing via email (paper trail), and my next correspondence will be with the Texas Public Utilities Commission.  Then I go to the media.  WFAA loves this kind of David vs Goliath story.


Let the games begin.


S


7 comments:

  1. Take 'em to court, the People's Court. Or Judge Judy or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I got a bill from Long Island Lighting for over $900, I posted it on Journalspace.

    It turned out to be a mistake (duh) as yours will likely be as well.

    Good hunting. Take NO prisoners.

    fin

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wife and I just saw the Hunger Games, but I'm willing to bet the Electric Games will be equally interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are wise to go to WFAA. Nothing like a nasty old tv reporter poking around to shivver their timbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet they do this all the time to customers they have lost to other companys (we are with Reliant now) and they feel no need to help us out that's for sure. We are not standing for it and we surely aren't going to pay it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lowandslow, if you will send us an email at SocialMedia@txu.com with your account information, we will absolutely look into this issue for you. --Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Lauren. I'll do that right now.

    S

    ReplyDelete