Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pretense

In the mail yesterday I received my yearly REI Co-op dividend, so I went and bought a new pair of super-light casual summer shoes.




I bought the ones I did for two reasons:  They're comfortable, and they're Patagonia brand.


Patagonia is a cool company, the kind of company I want to reward with my business. As a young man Yvon Chouinard lived to surf and rock climb.  He would work just long enough to make a few bucks, then he and some friends would take off on some pretty grand poor-man's expeditions, such as a month-long drive in a clapped-put old van to climb in the Patagonia region of Argentina and Chile.  He eventually realized he could make better climbing pitons than he could buy, so he bought some blacksmith's equipment and did just that.  Other climbers saw how good his stuff was and wanted some too.  Later he realized his pitons were damaging the rock faces he so loved, so he stopped making them (giving up 3/4 of his business) and instead perfected hexagonal chocks that would do no harm to the environment.  From there his business grew and grew to become the worldwide company it is today.


Here's the cool part:  I've seen Yvon on several TV outdoor documentaries and he seems to be totally without pretense.  He looks like the kind of guy who would sit next to you on a lunch counter stool and you'd have no idea he was anyone "special".  He could have sold his company years ago and made (even more) mega-millions of $$$, but decided he wanted to keep his company private and on the high ground, doing good for his employees (they say it's a GREAT place to work) and the environment by giving back for all he's been given.  I'm not saying this because I'm a big tree-hugger (I'm not really), but because I respect a man for doing what he believes in and not prostituting himself for a buck.  He's now in his 70's and still doing outdoor things many people half his age can't.


Like most everybody I've often daydreamed about winning the lottery.  Even with all that money I don't think I'd change too much.  I'd still wear my jeans or shorts and t-shirts, live in a modest apartment/home, etc. I would probably travel more, but that's all I can think of I'd like to do that I can't do now.  Heck, I even like my 5-year old car.


I don't like pretense.  If you have to tell me how cool you are, you're not that cool.  I doubt Yvon gives a shit what anyone thinks of him.  My kinda guy!


S

4 comments:

  1. Those shoes sure look comfy, but I doubt they come in my size, eight and a half, triple wide. Stop laughing. Yes. I can walk on water with my wide little duck feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoes do look comfy. If I won the lottery I would get a really cute VW bug (it's appropriate, don't you think?) or a prius - something that gets better gas mileage than my current one. And we'd move back to NC to be near family. And I'm not sure how I feel about that - so mostly I just hope I win enough to pay off my current bills but not change my lifestyle too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shoes look comfy enough to be slippers.

    Lottery win? Hm...I could see buying myself a big fat nice expensive camera. I could possibly even see myself having a second home - a condo/townhouse/log cabin somewhere with mountains (Florida is just so very flat...). After that? Not sure. I'm with you on the jeans and shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes sir...I am through being cool. That ended for me in the 80's...

    Barefeet or flip flops reign supreme in our neck of the woods. Aqua socks will get you laughed at by the surfers however.

    Cheers,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete