Wednesday, April 4, 2012

And life goes on

If you stop and think about it, it's amazing how yesterday people were ducking for cover as tornados skipped all around the area, yet today the sun still rose, people dressed for work and ventured out, babies will be born, and the grass will still need mowing.  Nothing stops time.  Kinda puts in perspective how things really work.  Those who think they control their own destiny are just kidding themselves. 


Regarding those tornados....kudos to the authorities all across the area for their excellent early warning systems.  Despite the widespread damage there were no deaths and surprisingly few injuries.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 


Remember how last week I was berating IKEA for the problems I was having with one of their TV stands?  Here's how things finally worked out:  The parts packet was missing two vital parts, and one piece was not pre-drilled as the instructions promised it would be.  I took the defective piece back to IKEA where a customer service rep cheerfully replaced it with a new one.  She also went over to a wall of parts bins, went straight to the right one, and reached in and grabbed my two missing pieces. I asked her if this was a common occurrence and she just smiled and nodded.


I eventually assembled everything, but found it to be disappointing in fit.  The gaps between doors and drawers are inconsistent and the possible adjustments have been maxed out.  Being black hides the poor fit....I'm just glad I didn't buy this piece in white.  While the IKEA box prominently mentioned SWEDEN, down in the corner in tiny print it said "made in China".  No big surprise, and it explains a lot.  Frankly I'll think twice about buying anything else from IKEA that needs assembly.  Dishes, cutlery, rugs, no problem....but nothing needing assembly.  


Also, regarding my rant about my outrageous TXU Energy bill....I had a comment from "Lauren", a TXU rep who monitors social media comments regarding her employer.  I contacted her and they are reviewing things and promise to get back within 5 days with their findings.  I'm confident they'll find a simple error somewhere, but if they try to tell me otherwise, it's time for letters to state regulators, calls to the media, and *.  I'll keep you posted.


Hope you have a nice day.  :)


S



2 comments:

  1. I'm sure that was quite a scare for you yesterday. Your pictures were as close to a tornado as I ever want to be. Glad you're all right. I don't think IKEA's products live up to their reputation of being well designed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I've never assembled much beyond lasagnas, but my husband is the King of assemble-it-yourself furniture. He still swears that IKEA is the best (before IKEA, we've owned some really cheapo stuff...). Yes, I know - made in China. Makes me mad.

    ReplyDelete