Monday, April 9, 2012

The countdown begins....

My daughter Erica's baby is due next Saturday, but as we all know, babies don't pay much attention to dates and calendars and such.  As I recall her son Parker was born a few days early.  Does that make it more likely my first granddaughter (Blakeley) will arrive early, too?


Contrary to what I experienced yesterday (cool and rainy) I heard on the news this morning that the last 12 months here in the US have been the warmest on record, and that in just the month of March we set over 15,000 record highs and (warmest overnight) lows.  (Is it global warming, or just all the election-year hot air coming out of Washington?)  Then I opened my blinds and saw fog so thick you couldn't see across the street.  NOT a normal April occurrence, I promise.  I don't think I like where this is going.


Do you ever get the strange feeling things just aren't quite right?  I mean the weather, natural disasters, current events, the world-wide economy, etc?  I can't see how anyone can honestly say they have a handle on things.  My senses tell me to pull back, hunker down, and stay as nimble as possible.  Regardless of which volcano blows up, which tectonic plate cuts loose, whether Greece pays it's bills, China implodes, or Iran pushes the wrong button and blows itself up, it's all beyond my control. 


This just seems like a good time to lay (lie?) low.  I think sometimes we outsmart ourselves.


Happy Monday.  ;)


S

10 comments:

  1. Warm but also cooler here in the summer so the mean temps are up but the out lying records are missing us across the board.

    Congratulations.

    Bobby Humphreys

    ReplyDelete
  2. My motto: if it's out of my control, don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. our March was also the warmest and dryest ever! Now it's cold and rainy, even with some snow (hopefully not harming the spring foilage already out there).

    It's CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hunkering down sounds like an EXCELLENT idea. I will venture out to vote in November. Do you think there'll be less hot air after the election? Nah, me either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say we all party hearty, eat lots of chocolate, and sing and dance until the comet hits us. And you might not have guessed it, but I'm an optimist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt off all morning - for several hours I thought I had a fever then I thought it might be the fog then I thought it might be my check up tomorrow. I really didn't feel up until after lunch - then I thought maybe I was just hungry and didn't have enough breakfast.

    It's easy to read all the news and watch all the crazy weather and think "Maybe those Mayans are right..."

    I say we stay light and nimble AND eat chocolate, drink too much Sangria and party until the party is over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to Stephen's party!

    And it's "lie low."

    "Lay" is a transitive verb, meaning it needs an object after it, as in, "Lay an egg" or "Lay the keys on the counter."

    "Lie" is something you just do yourself to to something else, like "Lie down" or Lie low."

    And no worries...everyone has a hard time with it. Eric Clapton's "Lay down Sally" should say "Lie down Sally." Unless, of course, he meant that someone should grab Sally and lay her down.

    Are you laughing yet? ;-)
    /English lesson over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope I didn't sound like a smart aleck. In case it didn't sound like it, this was typed tongue in cheek and with a grin on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they just said on our news that our Easter weather was colder then last Christmas... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have had THE lousiest summer ever; 2 days we aussies would count as summer and the rest a mild winter - and this BEFORE winter. But we need to not overthink things. How about we accept what we find and be grateful?? I am. BTW congratulations on the newest soon-to-be-grandbaby!!! I am growing a nice crop of them too :) Love to Kelly and furbabies as well.

    ReplyDelete