Monday, April 23, 2012

Some days you're the windshield....

....some days you're the bug.

For some reason me and the electric companies don't see eye-to-eye.  I think we're on two different wave lengths.  Remember last month I was locked in mortal combat with TXU Energy over what I felt was a gross overcharge?  Turns out I was right and they issued me a $123 credit.  Saturday I received my first bill from my new electric provider, Reliant Energy, and my bill was $85.49 including a $9.95 base charge, making for a bottom line of $.099 per kWh.

Hold on there Kemosabe!  I have it in writing I pay NO base charge and my per kWh price should be $.084.  Then I saw the fine print (literally) on my Terms of Service agreement that said, "$9.95 base rate if monthly consumption is less than 800 kWh."  My consumption was 798 kWh. 


Those extra 2 measly kWh would have cost me 17 cents, but instead I now have a base charge of nearly ten bucks.   Looks like my "luck" quotient is below zero this week.  I doubt I'll be wasting any money buying lottery tickets.  ;)

S

3 comments:

  1. Your windshield metaphor at the top reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Norm on Cheers:

    It's a dog eat dog world and I feel like I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THat is a rip-off in the first degree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No good deed goes unpunished...here it is Earth Day and all that and you're trying to go green and use less electric and reduce your carbon foot print and...

    ...let me line up next to you, I'll bang my head next.

    ReplyDelete