Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Just thinkin' out loud....

This thing intrigues me:


They're constructing a new multi-story building right behind ours.  I can see it going up from my den windows.  Being a builder myself I'm pretty good at geometry and figuring out how things work, but this crane thing has me baffled.  The large concrete weights hanging off to the right are obviously meant to counter-balance the weight being lifted on the left side.  So far, so good.  But as you lift a load and slide it towards the mast, to maintain balance shouldn't the counter-weights slide in too?  In practice, however, the lifted weight varies and moves, but the counter-weight never does.  Are there some new laws of physics at work here that I missed?  (Maybe I should have paid more attention in class?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday as soon as granddaughter Blakely was born they weighed and measured her, but then a few minutes later they took her to the nursery to "officially" weigh and measure her.  In between times she messed in her diaper and the new mom dutifully cleaned and changed her.  The nurse was slightly upset when she found out because she said this could change the baby's weigh-in.  Turned out to be a non-issue.  Her weight varied by .02 pounds, not enough to matter.  Which got me to thinking....when those little diapers say they're for 6-12 pounders, they're talking about the baby's weight....right??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, some common sense business news:  Citigroup shareholders have rejected the executive compensation package proposed for their top people.  Their vote isn't binding on the Board of Directors, but they would be fools to NOT take the shareholders views seriously.  'Bout damn time, I say!  These days companies give their CEO's raises if they lose less than expected.  And "retention" bonuses?  If they're running the company into the ground, why would you want to retain them?  If they're in fact as good at what they do as they say they are you'd think they would agree to work for less while they turn things around, just to redeem their exalted reputations.


Maybe I think too much....


S


3 comments:

  1. There is no question that you think too much - however, this time your thinking makes sense. At least about Citibank. While I loved geometry, that was 32 years ago. And I don't know nothing about no babies (except I surely do hope that they mean the BABY's weight - whew!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been curious why CEOs get paid so well when the companies they manage go down the toilet. Hopefully shareholders are wising up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help you with the crane weight logistics, but your baby weight story reminded me of the time when my second oldest was born. He was the New Year's baby in the county where we lived, so you KNOW my doctor was called away from some party... However, he was very good-natured about it and told me about his weight being 9 lbs, 13 oz. "He would have been 10 pounds," my doctor said, "but he peed all over me before I got him to the scale."

    I'm just gonna shake my head and not say anything about Citigroup.

    ReplyDelete