Friday, April 20, 2012

Blakely and Dick Clark are home

New granddaughter Blakely is back home, a home where my daughter readily admits she's been demoted to the second most beautiful female.  I dunno, it's still a toss-up to me.  She really is a pretty little girl.  Except for a small bruise on her head which will disappear soon, she's perfect.  Not that I'm prejudiced or anything.  ;)  


Here she seemed quite content in grandpa's care. Now my challenge is to teach her dad "the stare".  He'll be using that on all the boys who will come calling for her in about 16 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



While most younger people may only remember Dick Clark from his Rockin' New Year's Eve shows and as a game show host, those of us with a few more candles on the cake remember him from the original American Bandstand show broadcast from Philadelphia every week.  For me, the closest I could come to being on AmBand was being on one of the many local knock-offs, such as Sump'n Else on WFAA in Dallas.


All us kids who could score tickets would hustle home after school, get dressed, pick up our dates, and get to the TV studio.  All the girls tried to copy the do's of the show's dancers, and all the guys dreamed of messing up those dancer's do's.  Needless to say it was an impossible dream.  If you'll look carefully at the set (top photo) you'll see they have a cut-out of my alter ego, Alfred E. Neuman.  I always wondered why they would want that when they could have ME!

While there were many American Bandstand wannabe's, there was only one Dick Clark.  He's back home now, too.  May he RIP.

Have a good weekend everyone. 

S




7 comments:

  1. Aw she IS a cutie!

    I remember watching bandstand - but I guess I was too young to get it. Where were the cartoons? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana....see the life-size cut out leaning against the wall behind the dancers? That was Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Neuman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to Dick Clark.

    Your grand daughter is beautiful, not just your prejeduce.

    Cranky Old Man

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the prettiest babies I've ever seen! Are they going to be able to wrestle her from your arms?

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's precious! And look at that smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! She is simply the most darling thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is adorable! That looks like a real little smile :)

    ReplyDelete