Saturday, April 7, 2012

Cars and Coffee, April 2012

This morning bright and early I met friends Neil, Frank, Ron, Ken, and Cal at our monthly Cars and Coffee event.  This thing just gets bigger and better every month!  In my opinion they've outgrown the BMW (west) parking lot where they've been holding it for the past year.  I expect them to have to move it somewhere else soon.  Nice problem to have!  OK, on to today's highlights....





While nothing exotic, this pre-bloated-bumper-era MGB impressed me, and it's for sale...$8,500. *checking piggy bank*


A slick BMW 3.0 CSi



I must give credit to the BMW folks for their sense of humor.


This Z3M was brought by a lady.  I'm not sure which drew the bigger crowd....her....or her car?



My first look at the new Subaru BRZ.  It's a modestly priced sports car ($30K) being built both for itself and for Toyota, who will market it as a Scion.  Only 11,000 were allocated for Texas, and they were ALL pre-sold.



The rarest car there?  No doubt this 30's vintage Packard.  I'd never seen one in the flesh before today.


The detail of the original car was legendary, and this restoration certainly upholds Packard's lofty reputation.



These were two one-off's that drew large crowds, but I wasn't that impressed.  Underneath they're just Corvettes.  I think I could have found something better to spend my money on.


A new McLaren MP4-12C.  *2 thumbs up*


Remember drive-in movies?  Remember the FUN we used to have at drive-in movies?  I'm just not sure this would be the car to have said fun in.  *wink* 




My Grand Prize Winner for the day....this Alfa Romeo Spider.  It was PERFECT, except it didn't have my name on the registration.   :(


After saying goodbye to the guys I came home and picked up K and we had lunch at In-n-Out Burger.  Mmmmmm.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And just a short update on Luke....

 

He came through a helluva lot better than I would have.  He's ready to run and jump.  It's hard to hold him back.  

That was my day.  How was yours?  :)

S

6 comments:

  1. Poor Luke looks like his head is being served up on a blue platter. He had a different surgery, right? Those cars look like they'd be fun toys to have although I'd be afraid to take most of them out on the road. Hope you're having a relaxing Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve....the collar, sometimes called a cone, is so he can't bend over and lick his sutures. And the cars, yes, most are just weekend drivers.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice car pictures! My cousin's husband had a BMW 1600 once.

    No In-N-Out Burgers here in Florida...I had lunch at IKEA today. Bought some more dishes, a little tool kit as a housewarming gift for a co-worker, and a bunch of Swedish food. Pickled herring...yum!

    Happy Easter to you and K!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the old MGBs, but that BMW coupe is real nice. Even the red one-off is ok, in a 50's futuristic kinda way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug....the red futuristic looking one is a '57 Moore Roadster. It had a '56 Corvette chassis and a '55 Dodge Hemi engine, and was the only one built by a guy in IA named Moore. (DUH!)

    Peeper....Does he still have his 1600? If not I bet he wishes he did. We bought some new dishes at IKEA when we moved, and some glasses, too. I love their meatballs and ligonberries (sp?). Never tried pickled herring. Perhaps I shall someday. :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fine way of explaining, and nice piece of writing to obtain information concerning my presentation focus, which
    i am going to deliver in university.

    My page; go there

    ReplyDelete