Friday, November 2, 2012

Football and lawyers...talk about a hodge-podge post!


For one weekend a year my brother and I do our impersonation of the Hatfield's and McCoys.  That would be this weekend, when Texas Tech plays Texas.  I'm an alumnus of Texas Tech, while he is a graduate of the University of Texas....sort of.  Not the University of Texas at Austin, the Longhorns (it's a tough, stringy-meated cow), but the University of Texas AT DALLAS, the Fighting Insurance Salesmen. *Zing*

I usually can't get too "in your face" with him because more often than not UT beats us, but this year we're actually favored to win.  He jumped the gun yesterday and showed up wearing his Longhorn ball cap, but I've dusted my "Double T" cap off and will come armed today.

Would it be improper to ask God to let me kick his ass this year?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tell me again why we need lawyers?  I recently read several articles that made me wonder.

One was talking about how the bankers have 3,000-5,000 lawyers and lobbyists working full-time to thwart the implementation of new banking regulations that would curb their ability to roll the dice like they did a few years ago.  That drunken binge ultimately required the taxpayers spend several trillion dollars to bail them out.  

Congress passed the Dodd-Frank Act which sought to reign in the banks, but the banks have fought every word, every paragraph, every attempt to implement it, and they're winning the battle.  Dodd-Frank is still pretty much an empty shell at this point.  That would make it Lawyers, 1; The People, 0.

The other article told of how Bronco Bama and Mittens Romney both have thousands of lawyers fanned out all across the country looking for the slightest excuse to file a lawsuit in order to thwart the will of The People in next week's election.  Make that Lawyers, 2; The People, still 0.

The US today has over 1.1M lawyers.  I say we keep a few hundred and then send the rest to the Northeast to help clear debris and haul trash.  In other words, to DO SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE!

That, or it's off with their heads!  (Hey, I'm trying to be fair about this, 'cause, you know, I'm a compassionate kinda guy.)  *wink*

S


6 comments:

  1. Are either Texas Tech or Texas in the BCS rankings this year? I think Michigan had its big interstate rivalry game already but I didn't really pay attention. I didn't go to a division 1 school so it doesn't matter to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In NC it's NC State (go Wolfpack!) and UNC (I'm ABC - anybody but Carolina). And you know, I have paid NO attention whatsoever to college football this year. I don't even know how either team is going. Basically, now that baseball is over sports are dead to me until March Madness Baby!

    I'm kind of giggling at the idea of my boss (an attorney) helping with clean-up in the Northeast. I can sort of see it if I squint my eyes & look sideways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE a compassionate guy, but compassion takes many forms, like the guy who offers to hold your coat as you climb the stairs to the guillotine. He probably just needs a new coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of the late Arizona politician, Sam Steiger, who once wrote a book which he called "First, We Kill All the Lawyers!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your team is the better team this weekend and wins!! I'm not sure I could be a lawyer; I would have a hard time representing a client that I knew was guilty for them to get a fair trial. I'd be telling them to plead guilty and take their punishment rather than looking for loopholes how to keep them out of jail.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you call a lawyer with an I. Q. of 50?
    Your honor.

    What do you call a lawyer who's gone bad?
    Senator.

    ReplyDelete