Monday, November 19, 2012

It's deja vu all over again...again

A little Thanksgiving story from my past:

I love banana pudding....always have, ever since I was a little kid.  My grandmother was an awesome cook, and every Thanksgiving she would make a banana pudding for "us", although I knew it was really for me. Unfortunately, after my grandmother passed on, banana pudding was rare non-existent around our house as my mom didn't inherit her mother's talent for cooking.  



Fast forward a few years.  While my ex-wife was a pretty good an average cook, she wasn't as enamored with banana pudding as I was.  On our first Thanksgiving together we traveled out of town to spend the holiday with her family.  When we got there my new MIL told me she had a surprise for me....she made me a banana pudding.

YEA!  Finally, a banana pudding.  I purposely went easy on the turkey and dressing in order to leave plenty of room in my belly for dessert.  "Mom" dished me up a healthy portion of BP, and I dived in.

*What's with these little chewy bits in my banana pudding?  Coconut.  She put coconut in my banana pudding!  WHY??  Vanilla pudding, bananas, vanilla wafers....that's ALL that goes into banana pudding.  It's a classic, for God's sake!  Don't mess with a sure thing.*

"I saw this new recipe in Southern Living magazine and it sounded soooo good.  I just knew you'd love it."

Mmmmm....thanks "Mom".  *ACK*

Thanksgiving, 2012.  K said she was going to bake something for dessert to take with us to her family's for Turkey Day, and I suggested a pecan pie. 



I love pecan pie....always have, ever since I was a little kid.  Last night K told me she had a surprise for me.  She saw a new recipe on Pintrest she was going to try for "pecan pie....cake".  Cake?  CAKE??  

Ummm, Sweetheart?  Pecan PIE is a classic.  Remember the other Golden Rule?  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm sure I'll love it.  

I'm hoping the swelling goes down by Thursday.  ;)

S


11 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I love coconut but in banana pudding? And I'm not much of a cake eater in the best of circumstances so I have just one question about the pecan pie cake. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of coconut so if it was in a favorite food of mine, I definitely would not enjoy the food; I'm sure it had to be hard to be somewhat polite to eat the banana pudding your then MIL made, knowing she had gone out of her way to make what she knew was a favorite of yours (minus the coconut of course). I agree with you; why fix it if it isn't broken.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah really, don't mess with works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are two of my favorite foods - yum! My mom always made good banana pudding (with meringue on the top - food of the gods!). Then my aunt made a version with sour cream which was actually pretty good too - but I considered it a DIFFERENT dessert than the classic.

    My favorite pecan pie is the recipe off the Karo syrup bottle. But my dad thought it would be better & less sweet if he added some oatmeal. DAD! That's oatmeal pie with pecans in it, not pecan pie. Head desk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I disagree with the "If it ain't broke don't fix it thing." THat's what bosses say to sound smart and slap down good ideas. If we followed that old rant we would still be driving around in buggy's.

    Having said that (damn, I just used my second most despised lines) it might well apply to food! I've never had Banana pudding even though I love bananas and I might like it with coconut...but I would like to try the classic receipt first.

    Xerox developers had a great idea for interactive computers working a windows type environment and suggested it might develope a "Papreless Environment." THe CEO reminded them they were in the copier business and that "If it ain't broke...." Bill Gates decided to "Fix it."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joeh makes some pungent arguments. And food, of course, is always evolving. But maybe our favorites from our kidhood shouldn't be tampered with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I think I meant "persuasive" arguments. Sorry Joeh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you believe I've never had banana pudding? But I have packed in a lot of pecan pie and this one looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dunno, Joe. When the bad-guys cyber-zap us you'll probably think a lot more of my #2 pencil, yellow pad, and abacus. :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Never argue against anything on Pinterest.
    2. Never argue with your wife against anything on Pinterest.
    3. Pudding? If it's not chocolate, I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Turkey Day update from my family:

    1. Mom has requested banana pudding (so my sister is making it)
    2. Nephew's girlfriend is making pecan pie (just pie no cake)

    seems Scott's prayers have been answered :)

    ReplyDelete