Saturday, November 24, 2012

It's "Small Business Saturday"


I don't know where the idea came from, but I like it.  

Today we're encouraged to make a special effort to do business with the mom-and-pop small merchants instead of the giant national big-box retailers in our area.  The trick is to find one.  I don't know how things are in smaller towns or rural areas, but here in the Big City they're becoming as rare as hen's teeth.

Back in the late 1950's-early '60's when I was in my "yout" that's pretty much all we had.  Mom bought her dresses at Stern's, while I was outfitted by Ken's Mans Shop and The Varsity Shop.  Dad shopped at Jas K. Wilson.

The toy store was M. E. Moses.  Hardware was available from Plaza Hardware.  (I worked there as a kid assembling and repairing Schwinn bikes and Lawn Boy and Toro lawnmowers.  I learned about tools there, too.)  The pharmacy was Payne's Drug Store.  If you wanted a casual meal out you went to Harris Restaurant or to the Plaza Cafeteria and saw Mr. & Mrs. Padgett.  Want a hamburger?  Try Lindy's drive-in.  Need a new car?  Go see Ken Pruitt (Buick) or Mr. Jackson (Chevy).

Mr. Tedford owned the Enco station (now Exxon) and would always wash your windshield and check your oil while filling your tank.  We got our furniture and appliances from Hollingshead's, and our tires from Shugart's.  That's just the way things were back then.  You bought from your neighbors.  They knew you and went out of their way to make you happy. It was called "customer service".

Today we have Walmart and Target, Macy's and Toys R Us, Home Depot and Walgreen's, Chili's and the Sonic Auto Group.  Need gas?  Just swipe your card at the pump.  (A complete stop is still required.)  The "owner" is usually in a far-away city somewhere looking at a spreadsheet, and the "manager" was a senior in high school last month.  Neither knows your name.  Or cares.

I understand "economies of scale".  I know we have many, many more choices at much lower prices today than we had back in those days, but something deep inside me says we've lost a whole lot, too.  If you can still find a small local business where you live, go buy something from them today. (Maybe again tomorrrow, too?)  Spend an extra buck or two.  It won't hurt you, and it will mean a lot to them.

S


8 comments:

  1. Growing up in a fairly small town - we did have local businesses that we shopped at - a couple of big chains moved in but my parents still live there and still go to the places where "everyone knows your name"

    I once lived in a tiny town in MN (frozen hell of the North) that had a population of 625 people - they had only Mom and Pop stores. It was a decent little town and the shops were nice BUT the people were some of the most unfriendly people on the face of the planet (I am from TEXAS I know friendly when I see it and that wasn't it). The only exception was the bartender at the local watering hole - but that was only due to the fact I tipped very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about trying to find a small business to support today. We did find one and plan to do so later on (a local bakery) I'm actually looking forward to doing my part to help small business and I'm sure there won't be too many calories involved :)

    have a good day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have local resturants, barber shops, and a hardware store but you are right on...it is hard to find a local neighborhood business. Prices are down and selections enhanced, but service is lost.

    This post is right on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of supporting small businesses and do so whenever I can. These small businesses are the economy of the future and we can't let them die off like the dodo birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, I know that the invasion of the Walmart has killed off almost every small business in this little town. people are inundated with ads from the chains and so no one thinks of anything else. I personally, only shop at those chain stores and restaurants if it's my only choice. When vacationing across the US one summer, we purposely pulled off the highways into the small towns to find shelter and food. It was wonderful. We did not stay at or eat at a single chain establishment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the idea for the "shop small business Saturday" came from American Express. How's that for irony.

    However, the idea is great - not just for today, but throughout the year. It's not realistic to make all of your purchases at small businesses, but it's realistic to make an effort. Luckily, we still have a number of mom-and-pop businesses here in Lakeland. I haven't done any shopping today or yesterday, but will stop in a gift store downtown sometime next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's the same in my world. What's killing the small shops here are their higher prices and no place to park except in the expensive parking garages. The supermarkets and "discounters" provide free parking plus you can get everything in one place, no need to go to a bakery, then drive to the butcher, then to the whatever. It's a lot more "convenient" at the supermarkets. Some of the smaller villages don't even have their small shops anymore and people need to drive many miles to get to those supermarkets! Bad for people without a car (public transport is good but not THAT good), for old folk, for moms with babies, handicapped (Taxi? sure... if you can afford one...makes the lower supermarket prices higher in the end).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the information on IT for small business. I was looking for these information for a long time. Now I can manage my business by my self.

    ReplyDelete