Thursday, November 29, 2012

"Vegetarian"...Old Indian word for "bad hunter"


What is it about women and vegetables?  If a bunch of women get together for a girls night out I can almost guarantee you that, once they all go to the restroom together, most will come back and order plates full of vegetables.  Colorful vegetables.  They seem to have this obsession with green ones, and orange and yellow, too.  But mainly green.  It's something dietitians have harped on for years, but have you noticed....most dietitians are women.  Coincidence?

Women have attached some near-mythical status to spinach and carrots and squash and beets, veggies that most men see as having little redeeming social value.  Speaking for myself, and you can quote me on this, "Blech!" 

Like most men I'd rather spend my dining energy chewing on something that not long ago was walking around on four legs.  That's probably why steak houses are always decorated in a heavy, masculine style....beams, wood paneling, etc, while tea rooms have flowery wallpaper and miniature dishes (so I'm told).  

IMO the social scientist who first came up with the concept of "hunters" and "gatherers" was spot on.  My concern, however, is that today men are becoming more feminized.  For example, if a man goes to a market to buy his meat, is he still "hunting" or is he now "gathering"?



The most insipid new product facing men today is faux-meat.  They've actually learned how to take vegetables, somehow melt them down, cosmetically alter them, and press them into shapes that make men believe they're eating meat.  Well, very nearsighted men, at least.  

Come on wives and girlfriends, please don't do this to us.  We admit you're smarter than us, but please allow us to enjoy this one last little primordial piece of our caveman heritage.  We deserve our steak, our scotch, and a nice after-dinner angioplasty.  Let us go out with a little dignity.

Bon Apetite.  :)

S


11 comments:

  1. LOL. I don't know - Mike & I were talking about how we hadn't even SEEN a vegetable in days. Not to mention fruit! So yesterday I added some cooked broccoli to my chicken & noodles with peanut sauce. I just mixed them all together - you couldn't even tell there was a vegetable in there. Promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...hunting or gathering at the supermarket? For me it is hunting cause I can't find anything and I am damn sure not going to ask some pimply faced kid for help!

    Fake boobs, facelifts, butt lifts, plumped lips and now FAKE MEAT? Say it ain't so Lowandslow!

    Nice post...hit home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Vegitarian - old indian word for bad hunter...I am so going to use that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sad thing is a lot of that fake meat isn't any better for you than the real thing. Go look at the fat and salt content on some of that vegetarian meat. Yikes! Anyway, humans are omnivores; we need a little of each to survive. I know the hard way I can't live on just meat or else I'll pay for it when I have to number two. You know what I'm talking about...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm nice juicy steak with wine or single malt sounds terrific.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not in my "veggie" phase....not really anyway.

    I had chocolate milk and Christmas Capn Crunch for breakfast

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. It might surprise you but I really love vegetables, but Mrs. C. not so much. Given a choice of vegetables or starch to go with my meat (and there MUST be meat) I'd take vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's OK Steve. As long as there is meat on the plate your cojones are not in danger of withering.

    K...You're like Penny. What was it she said? "I'm a vegetarian...except for steak. I LOVE steak!"

    Kathy...Of course it sounds terrific. That's because it IS terrific! :)

    PT...I'm not saying I don't eat viggi...vegible...filler. I just eat it in moderation.

    Cranky...Faux meat. It's true! I'm pretty sure it originated in California.

    Dana...I ate some vegetables recently, too. After all, it IS a leap year. :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you, Scott. Whenever I see something that says "tofu" on it I run screaming into the next aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rule of thumb at my house. One green thing,one pale thing, and them one good meat thing. I love steak and it has too be good meat. No old cows, or stinky stuff when you cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to pipe up now and confess that I eat very little meat - probably less in one week what the average American eats in a day. And if I do, then it's chicken. I haven't had beef in over a decade.

    It's a personal choice - I don't find fault with you for liking meat. :-) But every once in a while I look at the price of a steak and mentally put that money away for something more important (you know, like chocolate...).

    ReplyDelete