Thursday, October 10, 2013

Here come the Big Guns


Oh boy, now they've done it.  "They" being the Tea Party, and "it" being piss off the American business establishment.  Today's news reported that many high-profile, deep-pocketed pro-business groups have had about enough of Tea Party shenanigans.


Their frustration has grown so intense in recent days that several trade association officials warned....that they were considering helping wage primary campaigns against Republican lawmakers who had worked to engineer the political standoff in Washington.
Such an effort would thrust Washington’s traditionally cautious and pragmatic business lobby into open warfare with the Tea Party faction....
“We are looking at ways to counter the rise of an ideological brand of conservatism that, for lack of a better word, is more anti-establishment than it has been in the past,” said David French, the top lobbyist at the National Retail Federation.
The same talk is coming from the US Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable.
“It’s clearly this faction within the Republican Party that’s causing the issue right now,” said David M. Cote, the chief executive of Honeywell
This is great news.  As I've said all along, a strong, healthy, pragmatic Republican Party working with a strong, healthy, pragmatic Democratic Party is good for our country.
My personal wish is that we had a third party to speak for people like me; plain, middle class working people.  The business establishment has their party, and the unions and shall we say "disadvantaged"  faction have their party, but I don't feel I'm a true constituent of either. 
Maybe some day I'll get my wish for an un-bought-and-paid-for 3rd political party that survives on $1's and $5's, but for now I'll just content myself with the knowledge that thinking conservatives are once again gaining the upper hand in a more responsible GOP. 
 *happy dance*
S

6 comments:

  1. It's all fun and games until they tank the stock market and their patrons start to lose money. Really thanks to the f-ing Tea Party I've lost a good thousand bucks in my 401K this week. That especially hurt because I was borrowing some money this week to pay some bills so now I get less money than I could have without this stupid shutdown. All for their sour grapes at not being able to stop Obamacare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, your third party is the independents, possibly the strongest party, except the Dems and Repubs have to cater to the extremists in their factions in order to get to the elections, then they have to keep the extremists happy while convincing the independents that they are really not extreme.

    Between all the gamesmanship, posturing, talking points and outright lying, it is hard to figure where anyone really stands. Eventually the silent independents get it right, with a little compromise on both sides, but damn what a crazy system. If only we could just have one really smart, benevolent King!

    I would accept the anointment, but I'm not smart enough, and I fear I would probably turn into a tyrant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that business has had enough

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Maybe some day I'll get my wish for an un-bought-and-paid-for 3rd political party that survives on $1's and $5's"

    That whole notion went down the toilet with the Supreme Court decision in "Citizens United" which allowed unregulated, unaccountable and unlimited spending on campaigns. On Tuesday the Court also heard a case seeking to eliminate spending limits on individual campaigns and the controlling conservative justices seemed poised to overturn campaign spending limits.

    We are a government "of big money, by big money and for big money."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we're all praying for wiser heads in the GOP to prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big business talks, politicians listen. That's how it works here.

    ReplyDelete