Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Whore, good; ape, bad. I get it now.

I'm beginning to get a bit clearer picture of the ethical ranking system in Congress.  So far I've learned it's better to be a "whore" than an "ape".

It seems that parts of the financial reforms enacted after the bankers nearly destroyed the world back in '08 are just now beginning to be implemented, and the banks are none too happy about it.  

Right now the bank lobby is working overtime to exempt a wide array of derivative trading from regulation, and also one that would delay heightened standards for firms that would offer investment advice to retirees.  

*Well, DUH!  How are they supposed to fleece retirees, and probably widows and orphans, too, with some regulator looking over their shoulder?*

Both lobbying efforts have received wide bipartisan support (mostly Republican, but some Democrats, too) in the House of Representatives.

Just curious....why would you want to conduct your business in the alleyways and shadows if you were proud of your exemplary behavior?  Wouldn't you want it to be regulated and made public?  

It's sorta like restaurants that fail health inspections....they want it all hushed up.  The ones that make an "A" want it in headlines on the front page for all the world to see.  Hmmmm....I think I've answered my own question.



The banking lobby has gone so far as to submit a list of suitable questions for "sympathetic" members of the House Banking Committee to ask bankers as they testify before cameras and under oath.  It's become so blatant that one House aide sent an email to a House Banking Committee staffer warning that members should be careful to not mimic the talking points from lobbyists.

"I know that some of our members are inclined to whore, but we must not be apes."

So it's whore, good;  ape, bad.  Got it.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the absurd to the ridiculous


How could I have missed this?  Did you hear about the new "in thing" among metrosexual men?  Men-only nail bars....places men go to get manicures and pedicures.  This one ^ in LA is called "Hammer and Nails".  $25 for someone to cut your fingernails?  I think that's God's way of telling you you have too damn much money. 

For women, I understand.  They have to cut them, bondo and file them smooth, then mask everything off, prime them, and finally paint them.  That's pretty labor intensive.  

I honestly don't get this....unless it's a front for illegal gambling in the back.  But what do I know.  I don't get out much.

S



8 comments:

  1. Bank lobby... bankers... Congress... A den of rattlesnakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the bankers can not explain what a product is, and how it works to any Tom, DIck and Shirley off the street, it should be declared an "Illegal Derivative" and not be allowed.

    That would eliminate 2 thirds of these toxic products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Banking isn't my field of expertise but this all makes for interesting reading. And I've never had a manicure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't mind paying someone to clip my toenails, though I doubt anyone would want that job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's no problem. Any nail salon will do it. I haven't had it done but a guy who owned a business next to mine and was diabetic used to have it done regularly.

      Delete
  5. It's always nice to see those emails and see how our bureaucrats communicate when they think no one is watching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Bill and the rattlesnakes.

    I've never had a manicure either, but here is something I heard today on the radio regarding the latest "in thing." They said that "anything bacon" was out. What's in now is "anything birthday cake."

    You should be worried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ain't skeerd. Besides, I haven't been part of the "in crowd" since....umm....never. Bacon rules!

    ReplyDelete