Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wow! Nice Bling. Sorry about your penis.

I just heard that a friend of mine recently went to Northpark Mall to pick up a few things.  He parked in the lot and went inside, forgetting that he had left two Dallas Cowboys tickets on the passenger seat in plain sight. He came back a half hour later to find the side window bashed in, broken glass was everywhere, and there on the seat....were FOUR Dallas Cowboys tickets.  :)

Today's big breaking news:  The Jonas Brothers are splitting up.  I wonder if I should wear shorts or jeans today?  Oh, look....a bunny. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



While I don't have a horse in this race....I'm not Catholic....I must say I really like their new Pope, Francis.  Here he is, one of the most powerful men in the world, yet he eschews all the trappings of royalty available to him.  He passed on the opulent living quarters previous Pope's have enjoyed, the Wizard of Oz red shoes, the fancy gold bobbles, etc.  He just seems like a genuinely nice guy, the kind of pal you'd like to have over to share a few (blessed) beers and maybe watch some college football on a Saturday afternoon.



I'm rarely if ever impressed by Bling.  Back in my airshow days when a rich pilot would fly in his million dollar P-51 or similar and we'd get him safely parked and chocked, we'd greet him and say, "Wow!  Nice plane....sorry about your penis."

One of the most interesting men I've ever known was the uncle of a friend of mine.  (This was before Dos Equis Man.)  He lived in Houston in the same house he'd lived in for 25 years, drove a 5-year-old Olds 98, and wore comfortable, well-broken-in clothes.  He would invite us down to stay in his (very modest) beach house on Galveston Island and take us all out fishing.  Later we'd have a crab boil and sit around afterwards where he could talk intelligently about any topic we'd throw at him.  We tried to trip him up, but he bested us every time.  He was just an all-around brilliant, fun, pleasant, down-to-earth guy.

We knew he was financially comfortable....he and his brother had an oil pipeline related business....but it was only when he passed away that we found out exactly how well off he was.  Turns out his financial statement had more zeros to the left of the decimal point than any of us could even fathom.

I often think, when I win the lottery....that's it.  I often think of that.  But when I do, what would I buy? A few modest things maybe, some travel, but I don't really want much more than what I have now.  I just bought some new jeans, I have every color T-shirt LL Bean offers, and I just put new synthetic oil in my car.  

I am getting a new iPhone soon, but I'm going for the black one.  The gold one is just too Blingy.  :)

S


15 comments:

  1. You can say that but I bet if you came into millions of dollars you'd start buying all sorts of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He really won't Pat. He won't buy more stuff....that's just not his thing. No matter how much money you have .... the more stuff you have the more it owns you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you're right. I have had my eye on some of those LL Bean T-shirts WITH POCKETS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are on a roll today my friend! Can I throw a few Giant and Jet tickets on that front seat.
    Tee Shirts from LL Bean? Frikkin name dropper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often dream about winning the lottery but not enough to buy a ticket. I'd like to be rich not because I think money will solve all of my problems but because I've exhausted the problems that come from having too little money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've often thought that if I won a bunch of money, I'd buy a backhoe. You know, just so I could go out and dig up sh*t. I think it would be fun.
    Other than that, I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who the heck are the Jonas Brothers? I googled them and still don't know what they do.

    If I won the lottery I'd buy a REALLY NICE car. You know, a Honda Accord, maybe. And a condo in each of the towns where my grand kids live. A small condo. And a new camera, 'cause megapixels is the only bling I'd want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A teenie bopper group of three brothers who were popular on the Disney Channel.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Brothers

      The real surprise is that Nick Jonas was a lead singer in the 25th anniversary show of Les Misérables.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNk-pcNxy5M

      Delete
  8. Gee, I have a whole bunch of colored t-shirts, too, but I got them from a discount outfit. Not L.L. Bean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But wouldn't that require going out to a discount store, as in *gulp* shopping? Mail order for me, baby. :)

      Delete
  9. Just discovered your blog today, funny reading. Your pic looks mighty young to have grand kids, you must eat right and exercise. We do have the same taste in T shirts though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom/Kathy. Young looking...eat right...fit...sure. Let's go with that. ;). Please come by often.

      S

      Delete
    2. Kathy went to her Spanish class and it was raining, so I read every post to 1 Sept 2013. I see we also have that kid love of flying machines. I have a little envy of a overlook of DFW from you home. I had my sim the 1st week of July every year at American, Dallas is smoking hot at that time of year. I like war birds also, but could not stand the heat. My wife was not happy about the time commitment also. Been retired two years and have only played so far. I will give another tour of a donated FedEx Boeing 727-200 tomorrow. I do it for fun.

      Delete
  10. If we win the lottery we're moving to the middle of nowhere (as long as it has internet access). And we might just stay put & never leave :)

    ReplyDelete