Wednesday, October 23, 2013

If they drop this thing, is a "hard hat" really gonna do any good?


It looks like all the heavy lifting is complete on the new building going up just 3 blocks SW of our casa, so today they're taking down the big crane.  It's really fascinating to watch.  It's just like the erector set I had as a kid, only bigger.


I remember about a year ago I got up close and watched them take down the giant crane on the new building right next door.  I got to meet the project manager, and in fact he made me the jobsite Director of Sex and Music.  His exact words were, "If I want your fuckin' help, I'll whistle."  It was quite an honor.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Did you see this in the news last week?  A giant "oarfish" washed ashore on a beach in Southern California.  A second oarfish washed ashore this week, too.  Turns out this might not be such a good thing. 

It seems that according to an old myth giant oarfish have some kind of built-in seismic detectors which can predict earthquakes.  In fact, oarfish sightings were noticed off Chile and Haiti before their devastating earthquakes, and off Sendai, Japan in 2012 also.

Maybe this would be a good time for people who live near the Southern California fault line to....oh, I dunno....MOVE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like a lot of Apple-philes I downloaded the new iOS-7 system when it came out a few weeks ago.  Since then I've had all sorts of un-Apple-like things go wrong with both my iPad and my iPhone. 

Turns out I wasn't alone.  There have been lots of complaints, and yesterday Apple made available a new iOS-7 software update that will supposedly fix the problems.  I'm now current.  I'll keep you posted on whether it worked or not.

Enjoy your Hump Day, and watch where you step.   :)

S

  

12 comments:

  1. My son is in Santa Monica, I hope your wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, don't shoot the messenger. (I hope this is wrong, too.)

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't be surprised. We haven't had any big hurricanes this year so some other big natural disaster is bound to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Director of Sex and Music... ROFLOL!

    Those oarfish made the news even in the German newspapers! I hadn't heard about the connection to earthquakes. Ugggh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If that crane drops and you're wearing a hard hat it will be easier to dig your head out of the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like the PERFECT job title for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Pixel Peeper on the Director of Sex and Music. After I got off the floor I told SWMBO and now she's down there.

    Yeah, if I lived in California I'd be thinkin' about NOT living in California.

    ReplyDelete