Friday, April 26, 2013

And I was thaaaaaat close!


I was thaaaaaat close to landing my dream job.  

It seems the English Heritage organization, which oversees English historic sites, is searching for a general manager to look after Stonehenge.  To refresh your memory Stonehenge is a bunch of rocks piled up by prehistoric people about 2,500 B.C. near Salisbury, England.  

How hard could it be, managing a rock pile?

I'm told Stonehenge is a really big deal to old-time history lovers.  Many travel great distances in uncomfortable tour buses to take pictures of it.  (I'm too lazy to do that, so I just got my Stonehenge picture off the internet.)

I had already dusted off my resume and updated it since the time I landed my last job back in '79 and was ready to drop it in the mail when I read the job description's fine print:  They want someone who will not only contract out the lawn mowing (a specialty of mine), but to oversee the building of a new visitor's and education center, cafe, shop, and exhibition space.  Whoa!  

Yes, I could build those things in my sleep, but as I thought about it more I realized I'm a little intimidated by the commute.  And when I got there all my guys would be speaking some weird foreign language.

"Blimey....crikey....not fit for purpose....mind the gap", etc.  Learning English as a kid gave me fits, I can only imagine how hard it would be to learn a new language at my age now.

Maybe I'd better just stay retired.  *Darn...nothing's ever easy anymore, is it?*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crossing my fingers the weather cooperates with our plans for tomorrow.  We're going to the Southlake Art Festival, one we've never been to before.  In addition to the usual artists and musicians they'll have food trucks, too.  I see a photo op. ;)

Hope y'all have a fun weekend planned also.

S

8 comments:

  1. You also have to liaise with the Druids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should just sell the place to Disney. Put some mouse ears on the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the rocks would be easy to manage - it's all the PEOPLE that would be a pain in the patootie. I'd rather manage some lesser known place like my back yard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I had to laugh - one of the word verification words was in some old English script - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - stay retired. That language is a killer! One of my last few bosses was British - great boss, great guy, we all loved him. But one of my co-workers used to say to him, "When you talk, you really should talk with sub-titles!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that learning "British" would be difficult. After all, we're two great peoples separated by the same language, according to Churchill. Have a great weekend and enjoy that art show.

    ReplyDelete