Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Today's silliness...

Former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was laid to rest today in a pomp-filled ceremony in London.  Years ago she was in Dallas on a book-signing tour and I got to meet her.  She had on her finest British properness (is that even a word?), just as I imagined she would.  But I digress.



As I mentioned, today was Margaret Thatcher's funeral.  This photo was on the morning news pages, and I was struck by the ceremonial dress of the Honour Guard.  I wonder where they get those helmets with the built-in lightning rods and feathers?  And those boots?  Harrods?

Nobody does pomp like the British.  If you've never seen the Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace, you've missed something quite spectacular.  I have no idea what the purpose of it all is, with the cavalry and bands and such, but I liked it. Maybe it was just for the benefit of us tourists.

By contrast American military dress uniforms are just so....blah.  Dignified, but blah.  Some militaries just know how to please a crowd, you know?  For example....


....the Swiss Guard that protects the Vatican.  If there's ever trouble in St. Peter's Square, just imagine a few hundred of these guys counter attacking with their red-plumed helmets, court jester costumes, and assault rifles.  Grrrr!  (They need to cull that tall guy in the middle.  He ruins the chorus line.)


I'd have to give the Indian's a B-.  They've got the Las Vegas show-girl headdress down, but IMO they need a bit more panache with the rest of their outfit.  (Read:  Lose the brown.)


It's good be Leader, at least until your subjects behead you.  Remember Libya's Muammar Gaddafi?  Snappy dresser he was.


Here's something I'll bet you haven't seen in the Western press.....the North Korean Army Terror-ette's Drill Team.  Step, kick, step, step kick!


And then there's the Greek army.  Laugh if you want, but I think they'd make a very effective fighting force.  I mean, if I saw a division of these guys charging me with their chiffon shirts, tights, and petticoats, not to mention those cute little puffy balls on their shoes,  I'd run like hell.

I'm sorry, but I have to say my US of A needs to up their game.  Whenever we get our financial house back in order I think we need to bring in a designer to give our troops more flamboyant uniforms.  

Maybe they could make it a TV reality show where we could call in and vote for our favorite.  It's the American way.  ;)

S

11 comments:

  1. What about the Scots with the kilts? Now that's what we need.

    Margaret Thatcher was one of those who if you'd asked me a couple months ago I would have thought she died like 15 years ago. I mean pretty much after 1990 she didn't do very much. Not that she did much in office except fight an idiotic war with Argentina over a rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, careful. I'm Scottish. ;)

      Delete
    2. So you already run around in a kilt I bet.

      Delete
    3. There have been a few fun-filled late Saturday night's when I've been tempted, yes. ;)

      Delete
  2. 6..7..8..9..10 pheew ok I'll just let PT slide again...

    Fun posts with all the uni's; you may have a ppoint, though the Marines always look good, hell our Marines would look good in their PJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uncle traveled a lot for his job & I well remember the day I got the little Greek soldier doll from him - super cool! I'll have to see if I can find that dude when I visit my dad next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I've been saying since 1965, they could save a HELL of a lot of money if they combined the services and had ONE uniform. One Command Structure. One ordering and procurement branch. One Acadamy and Staff College.

    fin

    ReplyDelete
  5. We could all move to Costa Rica, which has no military.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well do they at least have a flashy marching band? You can't have a parade without a marching band.

      Delete
  6. I'm suggesting Star Trek type uniforms. They looked COOL!

    ReplyDelete