Tuesday, April 16, 2013

No 15 minutes of fame for them


So evil had its day yesterday, killing people who were at the Boston Marathon just to cheer on their friends/loved ones participating in this innocent, wholesome event.

As is the custom of our media, news reports ever since the attack have re-created the tragedy.  "Did you feel the explosion?"  "Did you see people with missing limbs?"  "How did it make you feel?"  Video from every angle....people screaming....blood and chaos everywhere.

And somewhere there is a terrorist sitting at home watching TV, just laughing his ass off, gloating.

I'm all for a news blackout.  Don't give the bastard(s) the satisfaction of seeing their handiwork.  They won't know what's going on until their door is kicked in and a dozen special forces/SWAT types slam them face-first onto the floor.  

Black hood placed over their heads, shackled feet and hands, thrown in the back of a truck and later a cold, completely dark cell.  Not a word spoken to them.  How long can you hold someone until they must be allowed to lawyer up?  Five minutes before that deadline you give them legal counsel.

Their real name will never be released to the public.  Their trial will not be open to the media.  Their face will never be seen.  They will never be immortalized.  They, and their "cause", will just be forgotten.

Here's an idea:  My understanding is there are many websites that teach people how to make bombs like the ones that blew up in Boston yesterday.  Anyone can download the instructions, buy the ingredients over-the-counter, and build a weapon of mass destruction.

Why don't we unleash our nerd-army of computer hackers to get into these bomb-making websites and play with the ingredients list?  Put in something that will either, 1, blow up the bomb-makers themselves right on the spot; or 2, render the bomb inert whenever detonation is attempted. 

 Ever practice "good cop/bad cop"?  Guess which role I always got?  I choose #____?

S


9 comments:

  1. I'm all for a media blackout. I mean after the first five minutes the coverage just devolves into gossip, conspiracy theories, and repeating the same things ad nauseum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the bad guy is going to resist arrest when they find him....whether he really does is irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all for the hacking plan. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all of these suggestions! I was thinking that same thing yesterday - that whoever had done this was just eating all this coverage up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just hope they find who did this, and quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always taken issue with giving these evil people the attention they crave. It's just wrong. I know law enforcement personnel that believe giving these people catchy names promotes tips from the public but I still think it eggs bad people on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really, really love your idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry, Scott, but as a long time media person, I can't approve of censorship, in any form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm conflicted about that, too, Bruce. But if you're going to oppose censorship in an instance like this, then are you going to assume responsibility for any follow-on copy-cat bombing deaths? You can't have it both ways.

      S

      Delete