Friday, April 19, 2013

BREAKING NEWS!


For once there's actually news worthy of the title.  These are crazy (read: insane) times we live in.  As I write this the news is showing live pics of the cops surrounding the suspected hiding place of Dzhakhar (I'm just gonna henceforth call him "Dizzy") Tsarnaev.  He's giving the usual "you'll never take me alive, copper" speech, and I imagine the cops are thinking, "OK, as you wish, ass hole."

What do we know?  Just bits and pieces.  He and his bro were Muslim, but we don't know if they were radical Muslims.  Is this politically motivated?  Did they get terrorist training somewhere?  Do they have accomplices?  Have they set booby-traps elsewhere?  All unknown.

But to tie this in with another current hot topic....this is exactly one reason why people should be allowed to own and possess firearms.  People in the Boston area have been told to stay home, don't go out for any reason, and if possible to retreat to their basements.

I personally would feel a helluva lot safer if I had my gun with me as a last line of defense in case some nut on the run like Dizzy were to invade my home and threaten my family.  I don't need an assault rifle with a hundred-round magazine.  My .40 cal H&K is plenty.  

If you ever thought that scenario was an absolutely far-fetched possibility, turn on your TV right now.  This whole thing is insane.  Killing innocent bystanders, knocking off a 7/11 (to draw out the cops and bring things to a head?), tossing more homemade bombs, shootouts....just insane.

S

10 comments:

  1. Scott - People are allowed to own and possess firearms and no laws have been proposed to change that. True you can't own a tank or a morter launcher (I think) and they might want to take away your sub machine guns, but lets not distort the gun legislation debate.

    And yes, if they demand background checks to buy 15 pressure cookers at Macy's I am all in favor of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe, I never said taking away people's guns was on the table. In fact I've said just the opposite in an earlier post. I'm just pointing out that guns can be used by good people for legitimate protection. Guns are not necessarily evil. It just depends on who's holding them.

      S

      Delete
  2. Insane, yes. This whole week has been nuts.

    Next week, I wish for the most exciting or upsetting news to be about Lindsay Lohan or one of those Kardashians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless Lohan and the Kardashians have a shoot-out. Hmmm....talk about the ultimate reality show. ;)

      (Bad Scott!)

      Delete
    2. Um, no, I think a shoot-out between these folks would be most excellent!

      (Not really - I think maybe jello-shot fight would be a better idea).

      Delete
    3. Jello shots? Really Dana? They'd both probably eat up their own ammo.

      Delete
  3. This incident proves how easy it is to get weapons of mass destruction in this country. It's sad to hear the one guy was a medical student and yet he decided to go around killing people. I think there's something in the Hippocratic Oath against that. Anyway, instead of worrying about the immigrants from Mexico, maybe it's time to more closely look at those coming in from the Middle East and Russia because those seem to be the ones who like blowing shit up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still, this scenario does not convince me that private citizens need assault weapons. As for other types of guns, nobody is intent on taking those away no matter what crazy people say. Estimates suggest there are more than 300 million guns in America and it isn't possible to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete