Tuesday, April 2, 2013

It says WHAT? + You know what I'd like to see?


What is it they say...."The English and the Americans are two peoples separated by a common language"?

This is an ad for Mini that I saw in the English auto magazine Evo.  Now I've been to the UK, and I realize we often have words and phrases in common that mean something very different in our two countries.  Is this one of those instances?  Can any of you who are American/English bilingual 'splain it to me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You know what I'd like to see?

Once again the cops confronted a vicious criminal and had a shoot-out, and the law won.  And right on que the media interviewed the perp's neighbors and they said what they always say:  "He was a good boy.  He never caused any trouble.  I just can't believe he would do something like this."

For once I'd like to see a neighbor go on camera and say, "That was one mean little son-of-a-bitch.  I mean, he'd steal the dirt from your flower bed just to have something to steal.  And he'd pimp his grandmother if he could make a buck.  I'm tellin' you, if the cops hadn't popped him, some of us would....er....I mean, accidents happen, you know?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's supposed to be 68 and rainy here in Dallas today, a definite step backward from yesterday's 78 and sunny.  Oh well, it is what it is.  Have a good day everyone.

S



8 comments:

  1. According to Google it means remain cheerful...sort of means the same thing here.

    Amen to the good boy crap.

    Don't you still need the rain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....never thought of that. I thought....nevermind.

      Our immediate area of north Texas is out of drought danger, but just barely. Sure, I'll take more rain. Like I have a choice. ;)

      S

      Delete
    2. Wouldn't that be, "Keep you chin up"?

      Delete
  2. It's topping out at 42 here today so quit complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think they can get the price of a Mini low enough to get my pecker up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 39 here - and we had our traditional snow flurries for the Reds opening day :)

    LOLOL at Stephen - ha! I can't even imagine what it's supposed to really mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh - the British do have a raunchy sense of humor at times. Until about a year ago, I had a British boss. For Boss's Day, we brought him a whole basket of assorted British goodies...you know, tea, clotted cream, disgestive biscuits, candy, and - yes - a can of spotted dick. One of my co-workers had never seen a can of spotted dick before and wanted to take a picture with her iPhone.

    British boss, in his best British accent, while holding up that can: "Now I want to be sure my dick doesn't end up on the internet!"

    Good thing nobody from HR was around...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep your chin up sounds better but I'm pretty sure they knew that.

    ReplyDelete