Monday, October 8, 2012

I really need to get out more....

A first for me yesterday:  I had dinner off a gourmet food truck....several trucks actually....and it was fantastic!  There's a show on one of those cable cooking channels K watches that features food trucks from various cities across the country.  They're not your typical construction site "maggot wagons", but real gourmet food vendors.  Because our municipal health departments are so ridiculously restrictive, they're just now being allowed here in Dallas.



While enjoying our weekend coffee shop R&R K saw an announcement on their bulletin board hawking a "Food Truck Palooza" at a local Jewish Temple, proceeds benefiting the North Texas Food Bank.  We went there mid-afternoon when the crowd was small and the lines were short.  There were about a dozen trucks there, but we eventually narrowed it to the sushi truck and the gourmet slider truck.


Here we had some kind of salmon and something (?) sushi which was excellent.


Still, it was a distant second to The Roadside from Easy Slider (Angus beef, cheddar, BBQ sauce, grilled jalapenos, and crispy fried onions).  Washed down with a cold brew it was incredible!


Ten more seconds and all you'd have seen was an empty plate!  It was about the best tasting thing I've ever eaten, no joke.  So good we got another order and brought it home for an evening "snack". 

I think we're going to have to keep track of these truck's whereabouts so we can make them a regular part of our weekend rounds.  ;)

Definitely.

S


10 comments:

  1. Wow, $8 for 2 sliders? They've had trucks like these around my area lately. Maybe if one pulls into my parking lot I'd go out to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PT....Yeah, they were a bit pricey, but I've paid a lot more for a lot less before. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony Bourdain has done a couple shows on food trucks and street food. There's some incredible stuff in NYC and LA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EIther those sliders are small, or your knick name could be Jaws!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! It's almost lunchtime here & I'm drooling on my keyboard (eww!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe....Yes to both. It was small, but I do have a healthy bite. My dad used to say I didn't really chew food, I just bit if off, mashed it against the roof of my mouth, and swallowed. Haha!

    Bug....You couldn't do much better than what I had yesterday. It was excellent!

    Fin (?)....Yep, this could easily be a segment on one of his shows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite food stop in Portland is a truck called "The Taste of India." You know it's good when the five guys in front of you are all wearing turbans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a gathering of food trucks daily, I think, at some location in downtown Phoenix. I haven't been there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember ordering food off of the old "Roach Coaches" back in my construction days, the food coming off one of those never looked like this, I guess I am going to pay more attention now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so jealous now - ordering something from a food truck is on my list of things to do! They have some food trucks in Tampa, but Lakeland is a sleepy little town and a bit behind the times. There has been one food truck rally, but we missed it. Waiting for the next one.

    ReplyDelete