Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Something else that really chaps my hide


Yesterday I experienced something that really chapped my hide.  Ironically, the source of my aggravation was.....ME.  

The scene:  I was on my way to work and had just exited the freeway.  I was sitting at a red light when I grabbed for my cell phone and couldn't find it.  My phone is usually in a case on my belt, but it wasn't there.  Or on the seat beside me.  Or on my car's console.  That could only mean one thing:

*scary music*

I left my phone at home.  

Ooooooh noooooo!

I felt absolutely lost.  It would be like a cop going to work without his gun, or a banker going to work without his mask.

It never really dawned on me how dependent I am on my cell phone.  It's my ONLY phone. Like about half the population I gave up my land line years ago, relying just on my cell.   I make personal calls, business calls, read and send emails....I even use it as a flashlight.  

It gets worse....I have an extensive directory of several hundred names on my phone, both personal friends and business associates, and without that directory my phone is little more than a shiny, sleek rock.  I couldn't call K, my bro, Cellphone Users Anonymous, or anyone.  I didn't know their phone numbers.  I was thinking of calling 911 just to talk to someone.

Finally my bro came out to our jobsite where he found me pacing aimlessly.  He went back and brought me our old office flip phone, but again, without email or my directory of contacts, it was of little use. 

It was one miserable day.  :(

S

9 comments:

  1. You think that's bad - I don't even know my OWN cell phone number. I have to look it up on my phone. So if I'm on my cell phone & need to give someone my number (if they're the 1% of people who don't have caller id), I can't. I have to hang up & then call them back after I write it down. That's pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cell phones are the new Swiss army knives. I hardly ever use mine, mostly because my family's too poor to pay their phone bills. I mean most of the time all I do on my phone is play solitaire when I'm at restaurants waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never owned a cell phone, so lets pretend I can sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Scott. I'll sympathize with you since no one else will. I misplaced mine once & spent 45 minutes backtracking to find it. Like you, it's my only phone. It's also my elderly parents only way to call so I keep it on & with me 24/7. It's a very weird feeling to not have it. I would have gone home to get it if I left it.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still have an old flip phone but yeah, I stopped memorizing phone numbers ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife has a cell phone that I don't even know how to answer, I am safe though I have yet to give up our landline :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way when the internet goes down? The world could be coming to an end and I wouldn't know about it because I couldn't check twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. been there, done that....PANIC! I have turned around and driven back home to get mine!

    I think I finally have my own number memorised, but it took some time... how often do you call yourself after all? lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've experienced that feeling. It's a lot like forgetting to put your bra on.

    Well, for you it would feel differently.

    ReplyDelete