Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wanna see my vacation pictures?


It's odd to me how politics is all the talk around the water cooler, yet here on Blogger people seem to be going out of their way to talk about the weather, the grand kids, what they had for lunch, anything BUT politics.  This seems like a very non-confrontational group.  I'm not looking for "confrontation", but just a good healthy discussion and exchange of ideas.  I guess I'll just have to have that exchange with myself.  So be it.  Y'all can relax.  I've got this.

Anyway, I thought last night's presidential debate was a good one.   Both candidates came prepared and it showed.  Neither fell on his face like Obama did 2 weeks ago.  The consensus this morning is that Obama narrowly won the night, and I guess I wouldn't argue with that.  It seems pretty obvious that these two don't like each other....it's become personal.  

I'm guessing Romney thought it a good thing that he got to go first, based on a coin flip.  Trouble was, it meant Obama got to speak last, with no time for rebuttal.  Obama in essence had a closing statement, and Romney didn't.  This is where Mitt's 47% quip was brought up again and eloquently hammered home, and was left in the audience's mind to ponder overnight.  Shrewd or just luck, I think it will show up in this coming week's polls.

Speaking of polls, have any of you ever been polled by Gallup or ABC or CNN any of the more prominent companies?  I haven't, nor do I even know of anyone who has been.  Part of that might be because I live in Texas, which means the pollsters just consider me and everyone else here a Red Stater, so why bother polling me?  Because of the fairly wide discrepancy in results, I'm thinking polls get waaaaay more attention than they deserve.  That's what I think.

S


6 comments:

  1. I might be part of a poll if I ever picked up the phone. That's always the problem with those things.

    I didn't watch the debate last night. Not when the Tigers are in the playoffs and Verlander's on the mound! They really should have rescheduled the debate around that. Not that Romney could say anything at this point to get me to vote for him. Which really at this point people should realize he's just saying anything he thinks will get him elected. Really people need to just look at what his Tea Party buds like Paul Ryan have been doing the last few years on the Federal and especially the state level to see what they'll get with another Republican regime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel inadequate in political discussions. I have VERY firm opinions - I just can't really articulate why (see today's post on my blog - I really am an airhead in real life). And boy howdy I do NOT like controversy! Makes my stomach feel all funny & I have to grab some chocolate. I'm going to gain 20 pounds before this election is over.

    I'd rather argue about baseball since it's not really that important to my own wellbeing (although I don't have to argue with PT - we watched that game too - ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been contacted by a polling organization and I have never met anyone who has. I have also never met a Neilson Rating family. One would think they are all a bunch of balony, yet they generally seem to be acurate to 1 or 2 percent so go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been polled either. My favorite moment of the debate was when the moderator screwed up Romney's "Gotcha" moment about terrorism with the truth about what Obama actually said. That one put Romney on the ropes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we lived in South Carolina, I ended up on the phone with a pollster once. Now remember, South Carolina is a very, very red state. The person politely asked a number of questions and I answered all of them, indicating that I favor the democrats. Last question: "Will you vote on Tuesday?" - Me: "No." (I'm not a citizen)

    My husband was holding his sides he laughed so hard. He realized what the pollster was saying to his co-worker after that phone call: "Hey, Joe - I actually found a democrat in South Carolina, but she's not voting!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been polled either, and was it just me or did one of the ladies who questioned the Candidates last night, address Mitt Romney as President Romney.

    I too think this one was a draw and Obama having the last word really worked for him.

    ReplyDelete