Friday, October 12, 2012

I didn't see THAT coming!

  
I think like many people I watched the Veep debate last night expecting to see a personable Joe Biden yap and on que say something funny that Saturday Night Live can take and make into a hilarious skit.  That SNL skit may still happen, but what I actually witnessed was an informed, powerful, very combative, stand-his-ground candidate Biden.

Specifically, here's what I saw:  Biden probably said the words "middle class" 20 times.  Same with "level playing field", and "a fair shake".  He came across as the populist defender of The People, something I think will play well with blue-collar voters.   And what is THE most critical state still in play?  Ohio....gritty, blue-collar Ohio.  Eighteen electoral vote Ohio.

Biden got so worked up on several occasions I fully expected to see him start foaming at the mouth.  But again, that much passion is probably appreciated by the blue-collar types.  Just go into a bar in Ohio and bring up Michigan, or vice versa.  You'll see lots of "mouth foaming"!

And Biden had something for war-weary voters, too, when he promised we would be out of Afghanistan by 2014.  "Sure, the Afghans would be happy to let us keep doing their fighting for them forever.  That's why we put them on notice.  'You'd better be ready to defend YOUR country come 2014.'" I think that struck a popular chord and will be well received.

In this case at least I think Biden's age and experience trumped Ryan's youth and vigor.  How could Ryan compete with Biden's "I was right there with Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neil (and a bottle of scotch?) during their epic budget battles"?  Or, "I was on an hour-long conference call with Bibi Netanyahu (Israeli PM) and the President and we're all in complete agreement...." 

I think that "complete agreement with Israel" reference probably reassured the Jewish community, too.  And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Florida have a sizable Jewish community?  Twenty nine electoral vote Florida.  Smooth.

Paul Ryan is a numbers man; a budget, Medicare and Social Security expert.  While very important stuff, it's also very boring to talk about.  It's all based on "projections" and "assumptions", and with accounting being such a fraudulent practice today, can easily be refuted.  It's a "He said, She said" argument that politicians have been throwing at us for so long they're hardly believable any more.   "Projections" are a tough sell.

Most awkward exchange:  Ryan sharing Gov. Romney's compassion for a family who had suffered through a horrible car crash, while Biden explained he WAS the family that suffered through a horrible car crash.  OUCH!

Best zingers:  When Ryan mentioned that Jack Kennedy cut taxes, Biden chimed in, "Oh, so now you're Jack Kennedy?"  Also, when Ryan explained how Romney mis-spoke when talking about the 47% quip, saying, "I'm sure you know what it's like to have your words come out not the way you meant for them to."  Haha!

While the red states are still red and the blue states are still blue, I think Joe Biden's performance probably picked up quite a few net votes for the Democrats.  This is going to make for an interesting finish come November.

S



11 comments:

  1. I love Joe, even though you never know what might come out of his mouth. And I live in Ohio - so there!

    (When I first moved here from NC I was so baffled by the Michigan thing - & even now I don't really care because Mike wetn to the University of Cincinnati, so I'm like, Ohio State who?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe Biden is a political hack who best represents everything that is wrong with Washington.

    Is he believable?

    There is no such thing as a scam artist that is not believable. THat's what makes them an artist.

    But then with JB (who is a genuine scumbag) and my family it is personal! (Long story.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bug....You live in one of the few states where your vote still counts. Our big deal here is the Texas / Oklahoma rivalry. *Yawn* (I went to Texas Tech. )

    Joe....Sure, Biden is a political hack. Washington is full of them. Matter of fact, they have two big 'ol rooms full of 'em on oppositie ends of the Capital building.

    If it's not TOO personal, I'd like to hear of your family's experience with Biden. Is it a topic you could write about on your blog some day?

    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather not, just an example of political hack bullshit that goes on in Washington.

      Delete
  4. I thought Biden took the debate hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As one of my other blogger friends said, it didn't matter what they said. Ryan looked prettier so to a lot of voters he "won" even if he lied constantly and said nothing of substance.

    I love how they're trying to paint that 47% video as a gaffe, like that time Obama accidentally said 57 states. That's a gaffe. Romney was caught redhanded saying what he really thinks when he thought no one but his rich donor friends would hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joltin' Joe won this one resoundingly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your assessment of the debate: Biden won. I get a bit peeved when I hear pundits talking about how these guys should be oh so polite. Screw that. They aren't polite when it comes to standing in the well of the Senate or House and scream at each other. I want these debates to be about passion and vision, not politeness. Too much is at stake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While the debate was still going on, somebody posted on Facebook: "9-1-1? There is an old guy beating up on a kid on my TV."

    LOL.

    The thing is, it doesn't matter who wins the debate. It matters who wins the election.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "it doesn't matter who wins the debate. It matters who wins the election." I agree with you 100%

      I really think in the end this one was a wash

      Delete
  9. Reading facebook comments after the debate it is amazing to see how everyone thought their favorite candidate won hands down without any doubt. I don't think it changed anyone's mind! We all heard what we wanted to hear.

    ReplyDelete