Sunday, October 28, 2012

OK, so geography isn't their forte....


BREAKING NEWS:  Apple Maps is projecting Hurricane Sandy will strike California around midnight tonight.  (Seriously, I hope all my friends in the path of that storm come through safely.)

Not much to talk about today.  Yesterday was my day for football....college football in my case.  I had the unpleasant experience of watching my Texas Tech Red Raiders have their head handed to them by Kansas State, 55-24.  Disappointed yes, but surprised, no.  KState is really good.  Solid all the way around, a true Heisman contender at QB, and expertly coached.  They should be #2 in the BCS poll after this weekend, which means they very well could be playing for the national championship in early January.

K and I went to Starbucks for our weekly coffee and read, then went to the mall near our home to just walk around and people watch.  I never tire of people watching.  Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung all had kiosks set up hawking their newest gadgets.  I asked the Samsung guy why my Galaxy Tab(let) 7.0 didn't come with an owners manual?  His response:  *deer in the headlights look*  It seems it's available online, but it's 100+ pages long....no way I'm gonna print it all out.

I want a simple little booklet like every other gadget in the world comes with.  While at the mall I stopped in to Barnes and Noble and found a "How-to" booklet which will answer my basic questions and is dumbed down to something I might understand.  (Wonder if it knows how technologically dumb I really am?)  Wish me luck.

That's enough drivel for now.  Have a nice Sunday evening everyone.

S




6 comments:

  1. Skip the "howto" booklet and hire a ten year old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joeh is right; a kid is your best bet. Have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to tell you California (at least Southern) had beautiful weather today so no hurricaine headed our way, but am concerned about safety of friends/family on the East Coast so hoping it is a milder storm than predicted. It is for the very reason that the instruction manual is over 100 pages for your Samsung tablet that I refuse to get a smart phone or anything else in that type of class; I just know it will be all jumble trying to figure it out; I'm with the other two commenters; a kid is your best bet indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, your post had me totally confused until you mentioned Starbucks.

    I'm with you on the "dumbed-down booklet" - however, download the online version, too. They usually come in PDF form and are searchable. I found that quite helpful with my 220-page camera manual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to confuse everyone, but the joke is the new Apple Maps are grossly inaccurate. Apple has a dispute going with Google, and therefore the new iPhone5 comes loaded with their maps.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, a 10 year old is your best bet. Used to be a 12 year old but time marches on. (and backward, apparently.) And yes I've heard those new Apple maps are seriously f---ed!

    ReplyDelete