Wednesday, October 31, 2012

It's always something!


Yesterday I went to the doctor to have him check out a bump on the bridge of my nose underneath where my glasses rest.  Turns out it's skin cancer.  Not a biggie, but still another nuisance that I have to deal with.  Of course they're reminding me to slather on the sun screen, but I hate the stuff.  Isn't a hat enough?  Jeez!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like it's "sink or swim" time for FEMA, pardon the pun.  The Federal Emergency Management Agency is responsible for coordinating federal, state, and local response to national emergencies, such as hurricane Sandy. (The actual work of putting things back right again still falls to the governors and the states.) 

They botched it big time after hurricane Katrina all but destroyed New Orleans.  Now we'll see if they've learned anything since.  Any time there's a federal bureaucracy involved I'm skeptical.  I hope I'm wrong.

The images coming out of the aftermath of the storm are incredible. The cleanup looks like an impossible task.  Where do you start?  They showed how things were down in the underground subways.  Yuck!  I can't imagine how long it will take to get it put back like it was before, if they can at all.  

Looks like unemployment in the area will fall to near zero for years to come, just by putting everyone to work hauling off debris.  For building material suppliers I'm sure they'll be producing stuff as fast as they can to replace what was destroyed, which will mean upward pressure on material prices nationwide.  Yes, we'll ALL probably feel it with every trip to Home Depot.

Wouldn't it be great to have things all going our way, smoothly, as planned, even if only for a few days?  What was it SNL's Roseanne Roseannadanna said?....It's always something!  *sigh*

S


7 comments:

  1. Well that sucks, but hopefully they caught the skin cancer in time to treat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PT...shouldn't be a big deal. I'll have day surgery where they will dig it out, then it's over with. It's just the aggravation of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have no idea how one cleans up after such a storm like Sandy; I guess literally one board, one rock, one stone, whatever at a time, but it still seems daunting. I too also hope they get the help they need sooner than later to start rebuilding their lives and cities.

    Glad you caught the skin cancer earlier than later!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you'll end up with a neat scar. Chicks love scars and you can really milk it on National Pirate Day. Seriously, hope it isn't serious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, I had one removed from my arm awhile back. No big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not making light of it, but at least skin cancer is one of the most treatable cancers. Yes, put on that sunscreen!

    I'm shaking my head at all the destruction that hurricane Sandy caused. My husband and I were in the middle of building a house in New York when hurricane Hugo devastated Charleston in 1989. I remember that our builder mentioned the steep increase in building materials because of hurricane Hugo; we were lucky he had ordered his materials at the pre-hurricane prices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad they caught the skin cancer in time, I have had many friends who had these things removed and they all say it's a minor thing overall.

    ReplyDelete