Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"Speak softly and carry a big stick."...T Roosevelt


Isn't tonight's presidential debate supposed to be the one that concentrates on foreign policy?  If so, let me give you a sneak preview of what to expect:  Ours sucks.

This isn't really news.  Our foreign policy has been retarded as far back as I can remember.   Bay of Pigs?  Vietnam?  All of the wasted years we've spent trying to bring "peace" to the Mid-east?  Now Libya and Syria?  Our government is simply inept.  This isn't just the Obama administration's bungling.  This goes back decades.

Right now Mitt Romney and Eddie Munster Paul Ryan are saying Obama botched protecting our diplomats in Libya, resulting in their deaths.  What an obvious political ploy.  Shame on them!

Here are the facts Mitt:  Congress....that would be the Republican controlled House and the Democratic controlled Senate, voted to CUT the funds for embassy protection around the world.  (I believe I heard the number was $300M they cut.)  We need to curb spending....I get it....but don't act surprised when we cut past the fat, through the meat, and into the bone, then it hits the fan because all we can afford are local hired guns to protect our diplomats.  They're worthless!  (Wonder if President Mitt would agree to cut HIS Secret Service detail when traveling overseas and rely on "locals"?)

Didn't I read that at about that same time we "requested" permission from the Sudanese to bring in US military personnel to safeguard our embassy in Khartoum, and they rejected it?  So much for political correctness.  We should have said, "We're bringing in OUR people to protect OUR embassy.  If you object, we're bringing our diplomats home, and they're bringing OUR CHECKBOOK with them."  Then I'll bet they couldn't have said 'approved' fast enough!

Forget about niceties in the Mid-east.  It's lost on them.  Just lay it out there.

(Hey, I'm retired.  I have the time.  I could take over and fix things if they'll just call me.)

S


5 comments:

  1. I thought tonight was the town hall debate. Not that it matters. I'll be watching the Tigers vs. Yankees.

    We could have saved ourselves a lot of time, money, and deaths if we didn't keep funneling money into Israel. What do we get out of that relationship? They'll probably start a war with Iran soon enough, which will screw things up even worse when we have to bail them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the mess in Libya was Mitt Romney's fault? Damn if he gets in office think how much damage he can do if stuff is his fault when he is just running for office!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my point Joe. Our foreign policy, overseen by BOTH party's over many years, is a farce, as exemplified by embassy protection, which was cut by BOTH parties in Congress. To try and make this a partisian political issue is nonsense. The mess in Libya was BOTH party's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we would stop bullying the middle east and trying to make it over in our image, we probably wouldn't be having this problem at all. The middle east is not ready for democracy of any sort. maybe never will be and that's OK. there is not just one way to be. you can point out that the leaders are tyrants, but that seems to be the nature of the people. look at Egypt. from one tyrant to another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when several hundred marines were killed in their barracks in Beruit (I think it was ) and I didn't blame Reagan or trash his foreign policy. I don't recall anyone trying to capitalized on it.

    ReplyDelete