Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lookin' for dirt

No, I haven't become a political consultant, although come to think of it, that sounds like a pretty simple job.  I mean, how hard could it be to find "dirt" on a politician?

In this case I'm looking for plain 'ol black dirt.  We're needing to raise the elevation of the lot that we're starting to build on and I need about 30 truckloads.  So far I'm about half way there.  To buy it and haul it would cost $150 or more a load, but I'm on the prowl for free dirt.  I've called all my pool company contacts, but they don't put in many pools this late in the year.




I'm not a very patient person.  I'm wanting to get this job rolling, but until I get more dirt, I'm stuck.  See why I don't want to be totally 100% retired?  I'd go nucking futs before lunch.


Hmmm....scotch for lunch.  Now there's an idea.  ;)

S


9 comments:

  1. Who knew...even getting dirt isn't easy, and apparently it is not dirt cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should put an ad on Craigslist: Wanted: Free Dirt and see if anyone calls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PT....that might work, but it's unlikely anyone would have excess dirt in the quantity I need. Plus I have to be careful that it's good clean dirt and not rocks, debris, etc.

    Joe....In the spring/summer when a lot of swimming pools are being installed the excavators are happy to give me their excess dirt instead of hauling it across town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't help you with your dirt problem, but scotch for lunch is another matter altogether

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think you could build on topsoil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having a home in a neighborhood that has been going through gentrification with builders coming in and tearing down the little bungalows and building lot line houses, the first thing they do is clear cut the lot and then bring in tons of dirt or bank sand to raise the ground level way above their neighbors. City ordinance says they have to put in french drains or otherwise divert the runoff water but even when they do comply, it doesn't really work that great. The few of us old timers that haven't sold out yet never had trouble with flooding or standing water until all this started. Now our shop (the old detached two car garage) floods every time it rains hard seeping in under the walls from the new garage/garage apartment the neighbor put in behind us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bigger houses with concrete patios and long driveways cover more of the ground, meaning there is less unpaved surface area to absorb rainwater. More runoff is what is causing all your problems. Here we have ordinances dictating how much of the lot can be "paved over".

      Delete
  7. Scotch for lunch? Get with the program...it's a three-martini lunch.

    In your case, dirty martinis.

    ReplyDelete