Friday, May 13, 2011

Really??


The set up: These days it is (apparently) fashionable for high-school-aged boys to do something outlandish as part of asking a girl to go with them to the prom, such as serenading the girl as she eats dinner out with her girlfriends, etc. Pretty harmless stuff.

ABC news this evening had a story about a kid who cut out cardboard letters and taped them on the outside of his high school building, asking his girlfriend to go to the prom with him. (She said "yes".) But the school administrators said he was to be banned from the prom because he went back on campus after hours (apparently a hanging offense) to tape up the "Will you go to the prom with me" letters.

Really?

Now, I'm a pretty hard-nosed guy when it comes to discipline, but even I have to say this penalty does not fit the crime. By all accounts there was no damage, no malicious intent, but just some good, clean fun.

What's wrong with people today? Have the Taliban discreetly taken over running our schools?


The administrators need to lighten up juuuuuust a bit, don't ya think?

S

4 comments:

  1. Mornin Lowandslow! I just been going through some of your posting's on this blog of your's, will get to your other blog's later ... but I just had to look you up after reading so many of your comment's on Beach Bum's blog over the month's, being in agreement with so many ... to my suprise, you live up in Collin County (Plano) ... I just live down the road over on Marsh Ln and LBJ Frwy (NW Dallas border with Farmers Branch) ... but sure I'll be dropping by this site of your's here and there, Thanx for the read's ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi neighbor! It's always nice to make a new friend. I'll come your way and get acquainted, too. Thanks for visiting.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy, isn't it? And he was so considerate - cardboard letters! He didn't spray paint his message on the wall, and he was willing to clean it up.

    Well, it seems there was a huge outcry about this on Facebook and Twitter (sorry, MSN did not mention this outcry on your blog... ;-) ) and the ban from the prom was reversed.

    Phew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buenos Dias Lowandslow .... Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh :)

    I agree with you on this one too. It's also just some of the politically fashionable correctness we foster on these kid's today that really insane, were making them good lil puppet's I reckon :) You wouldnt believe how glad I am to get raised in the 1960's school's looking at today. I have 5 grandchildren and 3 daughter's, I try to prep them all on the BS to expect and how to beat the system.

    ReplyDelete