Sunday, May 29, 2011

Too many passwords

This falls into the category of being the "bug" splattering against "life's windshield":


Yesterday I wanted to know what my checking account balance was, so I went online. Of course I had to enter my account number and my password, but I had a brain fart and couldn't remember WHICH password was the current one.   Seems a few months ago I entered the wrong password several times in a row and as a security measure it locked down my bank account all together.  I called them, waited forever for a real live human being (I think his name was "Peggy"), and he instructed me on how to set up a new password.


Now I'm experiencing "deja vu all over again".  Which one among my dozen or so passwords is the current one for this bank account?  Not the one for my online newspaper subscription, not the one for my Amazon account, not the one for my gmail account, not the one for my Yahoo account, not the one for my USAA bank account, not the one for my LL Bean account, not the one for.....


I have always been told to NOT use the same easy-to-remember password for ALL my accounts as one hack could literally open up EVERY account to a hack.  But damn, I'm sometimes challenged just trying to find my keys in the morning, much less trying to keep a dozen passwords pared up with their respective accounts.


Oh, and the outcome of yesterday's goof?  I asked for an email reminder of my password, and the email they sent me said to call one of two phone numbers for assistance.  They both had recorded messages saying they were closed.


Grrrrrr!


S

8 comments:

  1. I reuse some passwords, but I still keep em all in a text file that is NOT titled "passwords.txt" ;-) I have passwords that are 10 years old and probably still work if the sites haven't booted me for lack of use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the same 5 passwords for everything... and that for years, and have NEVER had any hacking or other problems (knock-on-wood). At the office I use the same one, only changing the last number according to the month, like 5 for May, 6 for June, etc. Makes life a lot easier.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Computers and the internet are cool but I have very similar issues with passwords.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is ridiculous. I have so many different passwords at work I have already used up everything I could possible remember and I am forced to change them all at different times. It's nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug...I may have to resort to that. I just hope I can remember how it might be titled so I can pull it up agian. Haha!

    Dorrie...I MUST get a handle on this thing somehow. I might just have to establish fewer passwords and take my chances.

    Bum...Great minds think alike. Or is it "forget" alike? Haha!

    Joan...Yep, sometimes you fix one problem and create another. It IS nuts!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  6. The passwords at work? I write them down on a PostIt note and put it in a drawer... if anyone wants to do me serious harm and/or get me fired, I'll be in trouble.

    At home...sigh. I have one password for all the personal stuff. At least I know that if a hacker wants to guess my password he or she will need to know two languages. Hah!

    Pixel Peeper
    (Not sure why I can't comment, even after I sign in six times! Grrrr. Maybe Blogger doesn't like my password...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, maybe commenting works after you sign in seven times... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. PP...I've been having trouble leaving comments on Blogger recently, also. Thanks for being persistent. :)

    S

    ReplyDelete